The Way It Was: Woodlands House c. 1970

By Falls Church Times Staff

May 26, 2010

Barry Buschow passed us the above photo of the Woodlands house at 610 Fulton Avenue taken around 1970. He also shared some information he obtained from Kathleen Riley Sides Crocker. She writes:

“My grandfather had the house built (I believe) and my mother was there from the time of her birth until approximately the Depression.

“I never lived there, and was only in it once — and only the first floor. The subsequent owner, Mrs. Schaefer, had a luncheon for family members when Aunt Betty (Styles) asked to see the house. I was not allowed to go upstairs.

“The enclosed porch to the left of the front door was added later. I don’t know who lived there when it was originally sold — may have been the Schaefers. I believe the school was the Schaefer School for special needs children. Then it went to a relative of the Schaafers and fell into disrepair.

“The kitchen was an add-on at the back of the house. The stable and garage were off to the right behind the house.

“Mom used to play a balloon game in the dining room where there was a new electric fixture–fling them up in the air and have them land on the hot bulb and pop.”

Click here to see the Woodlands house as it appears today.

May 26, 2010

Comments

6 Responses to “The Way It Was: Woodlands House c. 1970”

1. Philip Beddows, London on October 22nd, 2012 2:54 pm

The family’s name was SCHEFER.
    Woodland House was acquired and lived in by Mr Edward & Mrs Eileen Schefer. Eileen (nee Lenox-Conyngham) travelled on the Titanic with her mother, brother and Aunt. They were one of the lucky ones who ‘survived’ as they got off at Cherbourg in France before the ship crossed the Atlantic.
    Woodland House was inherited by their son Mr A.E.B. Schefer.

2. Richard Simpson - Staten Island, New York on April 16th, 2013 6:48 pm

Ernest Edward Schefer (1899-1968) and his wife Eileen Mary Lenox-Conyngham (1900-1993) are buried at Moravian Cemetery (Staten Island, NY).

Their son Anton E.B. Schefer (d.2010) is buried at Church of Our Savior, Oatlands, Virginia.

3. Roberta Wilson on August 15th, 2014 7:27 pm

Our house was across the street at 609 Fulton. The Schefers weren’t there until the mid 50’s I believe. Before them was a single woman who ran a dance school in the house. I knew the Schefers very well and was friends with Anton growing up. They were a little quirky but very nice.

4. Steve Noonan, DeLand Florida on October 14th, 2015 3:10 am

I attended Schaefer School from September 1958 to may 1960.

The Schaefer School was not a “special needs school”. It was a private tutoring school primarily in Math and English.

My Father was a career U.S. Air Force Officer, we lived in France for three years. When we returned to the United States I was behind the curve with the U.S. education system. Several other students were “Military Brats” or their Dad’s were U.S. Government Service overseas, E.g. State Department, CIA.

In June 1960 I was accepted at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Virginia.

5. John M. Gassaway on November 11th, 2015 1:14 am

I went to schaefer school also and it was not for special needs children. I only went their for one year because we lived in St Mary’s county Md. & we were, a good three hour car ride away . I had family in Montgomery co. Md. . German town, Also My Grand father lived in Glen echo Md. , we would stay with them sometimes but ,my step father wanted to go home every night ??? So we travel back & fourth ! It was a real nightmare for a kid ,that long commute every day .We were rather well off , the school was for well off family’s to send their children to for the smaller classes . One on one with the teacher , It really made a difference learning that way . The huge Classes the kids go to now are a joke ! My Nephew doesn’t no where the US states are in relation to one another ?? What happened to sounding out words? If the computers crash they will too !

6. Lance C Newby and live in Costa Rica on April 20th, 2016 2:17 am

I was a student with Steve Noonan and we both landed at Hargrave Military Academy together. Steve is correct, I was a “military brat” as well. Would love to talk with some of my old classmate during my stay at Schefer School. Yes, I talk with old Noonan every now and then. lance.newby2010@gmail.com